NRS500 Stage 2 of Build
Words and story by Brett Stubbs

Click here for Stage One

Once I had the bike with the motor in it I had to fabricate brackets for the Honda RS250 aluminum tank and fairings. The front set are from a Honda CBR600rr (carbon Fibre) and the rear is a Tyga Performance Honda RS250 covered with carbon Fibre for extra strength (passenger - wife).
As the fairings were from a race mould I had to cut out the lights myself and line them up with the modified front cbr600rr bracket. As I was using the Honda RS250 aluminum tank I had to modify the Tyga rear sub frame for it to line up with the tail piece.
When the fairings and tank were in position I organized an expert who has done some R & D on a cr500 track racer to build me an exhaust which sits under the seat. He did a fantastic job also. Now the wiring had to be done and as I already wanted to use the Honda VTR1000rr SP1 dash I started with the SP1 wiring harness. I traced out all the unnecessary wiring using the wiring diagram from the SP1 and cut out what was not required. All sensors that were applicable for the basic functions of the dash were fabricated in. Once the wiring was in working order I had a another contact (Matt) clean up the connectors and the harness. I removed all the fairings and dropped them back off to have the final coat of carbon fibre applied and then gel coated. They turned out great.
Once I had assembled the bike I took it for a shake down making sure everything was ok. I took it to my Dads place where I had more room to test ride the bike without the worry of suburban traffic interfering with our runs. I ask my best mate Paul to come over to help me with the tuning of the engine and to also have another point of view for development. When I first rode it I was shocked on how well the bike felt with the vibrations I was expecting it to be vibrating my hands due to the nature of the CR500 engine. The bike has great acceleration and a huge amount of torque. It lifts the front wheel in all 5 gears. The steering is fantastic, very precise and consistent and I have to admit the bike weighs in less than 100kg with half a tank of fuel. After a lot of considerations I decided to change the way the engine mounts, so I had a fabricator who has been helping me through this project (Ralph) to change the engine mounts to look a lot cleaner.
Now the bike was the way I wanted it to be I had my Engineer go over the bike and make sure everything complies to the NSW RTA rules, which it does. The only thing I had to do was to wrap the exhaust chamber with exhaust insulation to take away some of the noise.
I decided to buy a new Ohlins rear shock instead of getting the original NSR250 MC28 Showa one rebuilt, it was going to be around the same price anyway so why not get one with more adjustment.
The bike was striped down and all the parts sent to the powder coater to have matt black applied to them. Once I had received the parts from the powder coater I stated the final assembly. Looking at the photos below is where Ifm at today and I should have the final pieces on the bike very soon and the fairing painted with gold stripes and clear coat to highlight the carbon fibre. The tank will be painted in Metallic black with a Gold GT stripe to the right top side. If you have any question please don hesitate to ask as Ifm only too happy to help anyone willing to take on the power of the CR500. Email: stubbsb@tpg.com.au. Best Regards Brett Final stage just around the corner.

Click here for Stage One

PROJECT BIKES
HOME